Monday, February 12, 2007

Laughter can make you healthier

I read a statistic recently that declared that children laugh over 400 times a day and adults only laugh about 15 times a day. To me that is very sad. It indicates that because of all the responsibility and stress in life, we have forgotten our sense of humor and the ability to spontaneously laugh. We take things so seriously that we don't see a "funny side" to much that
transpires in our daily lives.

Laughter is actually good for your health! When we laugh it lowers our blood pressure. Our
biochemical state is changed when we laugh. Laughter decreases stress hormones while it also tends to increase the ability to fight infections,

Laughter also protects the heart. The University of Maryland Medical Center did a study that
indicated people with heart disease were 40 percent less likely to laugh in various situations
presented to them (compared to people of the same age without heart disease.)

When we laugh we relieve stress and actually improve our brain function. Laughing eases muscle tension and actually tones our intestinal function. Laughter stimulates both sides of the brain and can enhance learning.

When we keep our sense of humor, others like to associate with us. There are so many benefits I won't mention them all, but the list goes on and on.

I want to offer a suggestion about humor. There is one kind of "humor" that is not beneficial.
When jokes and laughter take punches at others, and are hurtful, you are actually increasing
the pain of others, and isolating yourself, as well. Don't do that, please:)

Laughter's best benefits are shared when others are laughing too. I admit though, I think I am really funny, and I see many situations as humorous as opposed to being difficult. I've cracked myself up and laughed until rolling on the floor with my sides hurting from the laughter. My
husband says there is an eight year old trapped in my body.

Mama told me one time, "Think of life as a party. It started before you got here. It will continue after you leave. Try not to take everything so seriously. Take the high road and
have a good laugh more often."

How right she was. So start today and find your sense of humor. There are constantly things around that can cause us to laugh. Rent a funny movie. Tickle someone and it might tickle you too. Read a few jokes. Listen to the unrestricted laughter of a child. HAVE FUN!! This is YOUR LIFE!

No comments: